How We Do Our Stocks
|How We Do Our Stocks|
1. The stock duplication process uses the original sock for the pattern so it must be submitted to be duplicated. Don't worry about how bad it is. Any repairs or defects of the pattern will need to be corrected before duplicating either by the customer or by us. We can only duplicate what we are duplicating from. Any modifications needed for changes of the pattern will result in an extra charge. Some examples include L.O.P., adding a check piece or a wider forearm, etc. Our experienced operator on the duplicator is able to get the finish stock to within .05 of the original on all stocks that are to be fitted in house. The ones were we do not have the iron parts to be fitted will be left at .15 strong to allow for the inletting of the stock by the customer
Shaping and inletting a gunstock from a slab of walnut or other hardwood is no easy task. In fact, many beginners who attempt such a project find their half-finished blanks ending up as expensive kindling. Even the professional stockmakers who have successfully completed dozens of gunstocks from wood slabs, find it more convenient to purchase the semi-inletted stocks (those that have been preshaped and inletted by machine) and completing the job from that point.
Here at Bose's Guns we under stand how time consuming this task is and purchased a duplicator 7 years ago to speed up the inletting and duplicating process by doing every thing in house.
The duplication process is very handy to have when there are more broken or wore stocks than we can find replacements for that match the original dimensions. This is Key to keeping the original look and feel to your firearm.
"I have had Rob Bose at Bose Guns duplicate two shotgun stocks for me recently. One a Winchester Super X-1 and the other a Krieghoff K-32. Both were executed very well on the high grade Maple blanks I provided. Dimensions are easily within acceptable tolerances to the pattern wood I provided to Rob. Wood to metal fit on both is excellent, finish on the wood is superb and checkering is very nice indeed. I am pleased that I chose Bose Guns to do my work for me and will not hesitate to have Rob do additional stock work for me in the future. Oh ya, when he said it would be about three weeks from receipt to delivery he was not kidding. Work was completed in a very timely manner and Rob kept me informed of work progress via e-mail. I cannot expect better service from anyone."-Bob Finger, Easton, MD.
2. Inletting is the process of taking the stocks that we make in our duplicator and fit them to the metal parts to give that perfect wood to metal finish. All metal parts must be included when requesting this service. The buttplate or recoil pad if one is to be installed should be included or purchased through us.
Stock will be fully inletted and sanded to a 400 grit. Ready for checkering or finishing.
Inletting prices apply only to 95% stocks, does not include checkering, stock finish, buttplate or other accessories added to the stock.
3. Fitting of all stock accessories is next.
4. The quality of a fine rifle or shotgun is often judged by the checkering. In addition to the functional aspect of providing a firm non-slip grip of the stock, custom checkering adds to the appearance and value. Care is taken so that the checkering blends with the gunstock, while allowing the owner a personal statement in it's design.
At Bose's Guns the old world craftsmanship is carried out in our checkering with the use of hand tools and new age power tools to bring any pattern you have in mind to life.
5. Finishing the stock is the final step.
Please review our Gun Stocks pages by using the navigation to the left or if you have a question or cannot find a service. Please let us know. Contact Us
How to ship my firearm to Boses Guns Click Here
View Repair Request Form to send with firearm* Repair Request Form
*Note: Adobe Reader plug-in is required to view the Repair Request Form. Download plug-in
If you need gunsmithing tools, firearm cleaning supplies, reloading equipment and accessories at some of the best prices please visit our online store at www.bosesguns.com